Monday, September 13, 2010

Welcome Luke!


This is a few weeks overdue, but Luke Jared Berube made a safe and healthy arrival on August 24th, measuring in at 9 lbs 1 oz and 21 inches. My labor and delivery were MUCH easier this time around...had my first contraction around 2am, went to the hospital a little after 10am (even though my contractions weren't that close together or regular, but they were long and intense), was 4cm when I arrived at the hospital, got an epidural around noon (instant relief!), and Luke was born at 2:15pm after less than 5 minutes of pushing! On the other hand, my labor with Kyle was 27 hrs and I pushed for an exhausting 2.5 hrs! My recovery with Luke was also much quicker than with Kyle...I felt almost back to normal physically after just a couple days. I guess Kyle did all the damage the first time around!

We're all doing as well as can be expected at this point. Kyle LOVES Luke and shows no signs of jealousy. He thinks he's funny (especially when he's crying!) and loves snuggling up to him. His gestures of affection can be a little rough though, so I have to watch him pretty closely. Kyle is going to be a great big brother...he already is!

And I'm doing pretty well, despite several weeks of sleep deprivation (Luke would much rather nurse all night than sleep). Needless to say, these last few weeks have been extremely bittersweet. There are just no words to describe how much I miss Jared, and the incredible void and sadness I feel without him here with us. It just feels so wrong and empty to be experiencing all of this without him. But I know he will live on through our boys, and I hope they grow up to be just like him...he's truly the best person I've ever known and I will never stop missing him and the life we had built together. But I am just so thankful that Luke is healthy, despite all the stress he endured in utero these last 6 months. I feel very blessed to have my two precious little boys.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

LOVE you all. Love your blog entry. You are the BEST. xoxo

Nance said...

This entry is so dear. What beautiful little boys you have, Dianna. Luke has a look all of his own, and Kyle continues to be the cutest ever. You are surrounded by abundant love and continue to show such strength and courage. Be proud. We love you, Dianna, and just love these pix.

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you for your courage and optimism during these bittersweet times. I admire you. In my heart I believe that Jared is watching over you and the boys. Love goes on and on. You have a gift for writing. Love you and the boys and think of you all every day.

Jayne said...

Love all the pictures you posted Di and can't wait to see you and the boys this weekend for Kyle's Birthday. I hope to see Kyle snuggle up next to his little brother. He is just such a sweet, affectionate little boy!