Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ups and Downs

Life with Lukey Pookie is definitely one big roller coaster right now. The last couple days have been HORRIBLE (way more time spent trying to get him to sleep than he actually slept, very short sleep stretches at night, lousy nursing, etc). But then last night, he slept a 5 hr stretch followed by a 4 hr stretch. And he's been napping well this morning. So there are lots of ups and downs right now, but I guess that's par for the course with a 2.5 month old. The bad days feel absolutely unbearable, but then they just make me appreciate the good days that much more.

It seems the key is to not let him get overtired. But that's much easier said than done with a two year old in the picture, because I can't always take the time to nurse/rock him to sleep with Kyle around. And once I miss my "getting him to sleep window", it gets very tough. He'll still (usually) fall asleep but will wake up after just 10 or 15 minutes...and then this is followed by endless/frustrating attempts to get him back to sleep. When he's overtired, he just has a lot of trouble getting into that deep sleep mode. This just completely supports the saying "the more they sleep, the more they sleep"...SO TRUE!!

Here are some pictures from the last week...

4 comments:

marti Jordan said...

Dianna, You got a great photo shoot with their same outfits. They are my favorites and some great shots with you and grammy,too!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the photos especially the ones where they are in the same outfit and the one of Luke lying on his stomach. Nonnie wishes she could give the boys a big kiss!!

Kim said...

Hang in there Dit - there's nothing like broken or NO sleep - I will cross my fingers for you that the long stretches keep coming! At least he's so darn cute! The one of the two of you where he's smiling is precious and I love the ones with the matching shirts. Two beautiful little boys..... :)

Nance said...

These are terrific pics, Dianna. The boys are just adorable. You can tell that Kyle loves his little brother, who is growing and changing every day. Love the matching shirts!

Sorry to hear about the downs, but I do remember with my grandkids, Emilia especially, that the more sleep she got during the day, the better she slept at night. Hang in there.