Monday, August 22, 2011

My Hero, My Savior, My Mommy

Yes, my mom has TRULY been my savior these last few weeks. And as I blogged last night for the first time in almost a month, I realized how long overdue this post is. As anyone knows who has had even a casual conversation with me recently, feeding Luke is VERY challenging. He just REALLY does not like to eat. And of all the difficulties in my life, this is the one thing that was really pushing me to a bad place. It was starting to adversely affect my parenting as a whole, not to mention my overall sanity.

So that's where Grammy stepped in, or I should say "stepped up". For the last few weeks, most days Grammy has been feeding Luke BOTH lunch and dinner! And she has had great success, almost always getting his whole meal in him. But this (along with the pictures below of him looking super-happy about eating) is very misleading. While Grammy does have a wonderful knack for keeping his meals light and fun, it is VERY hard work. It requires a constant barrage of "props" (things to distract him such as extra spoons, wax paper, lids, etc) and other silly antics, all while defending against his trademark spoon swipe and (albeit playfully) swiping at her face!

Her help has given me one of the hugest lifts possible. And as a result, I feel like I have been a much better mom to both Kyle and Luke. And Luke is definitely getting WAY more much-needed calories in him than if I were going it alone, because I was just running out of the time/patience/energy required to get through each meal, and I was beginning to feel like it was just an impossible task (I have quite seriously compared Grammy's feeding heroics to summiting Mount Everest!).

So thank you, thank you, THANK YOU Grammy. All three of us are in a much better place because of your VERY much appreciated efforts :)

6 comments:

Jayne said...

Way to go Grammy! Pooks does look like he is happily eating his meals!

Kim said...

Such a nice post Dit. Hooray For Grammy!

bcarlson said...

I've never felt so appreciated! It warms my heart to know that I'm making such a difference. (That's what life is all about.) Thanks for the tribute, Dit.

Anonymous said...

You deserve it! The boys are very lucky to have you as their grandmother! Nonnie.

Carolyn said...

Grammy does rock.

Kim said...

Glad to hear about the feeding boost from Grammy! Keep up the good work Luke!