Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Beach Day!

The boys and I had lots of fun surprising Nonnie with an afternoon at the beach on this GORGEOUS day! I wasn't actually a surprise...I had fibbed that I was visiting a supplier near Kennebunkport, and asked Nonnie if she wanted to go for a beach walk afterward. And fortunately she did! So I stopped at her house to pick her up at the agreed upon time, and she got in the car, completely unsuspecting. And the boys were actually quiet for another 30 seconds or so before she discovered them!

Kyle liked walking down (way down, because it was low tide) to see the "huge water" (a.k.a the ocean) with Nonnie. And he had fun filling his pail with rocks and chasing the seagulls (or ducks, as he first called them). And Luke just liked everything sand! Rolling in it, rubbing it around, digging in it, eating it...you name it. He definitely didn't have that initial weirdness that some kids have with the feeling of sand...he LOVED it!! And his diaper should be interesting tomorrow because he definitely consumed a lot of it...

We had so much fun and look forward to doing it again in the spring. And I was so happy that Nonnie, a "Mainer", got to witness the kids' first ocean beach experience. And I love that it was right in Jared's beautiful old stomping grounds.

PS: I included the photo of me and the boys for a good chuckle...Kyle looking like he's about to punch me and Luke crying for about the only 30 seconds he's cried this week :)

PPS: If you notice that Luke seems to be holding a crumpled plastic cup that looks like trash, it's not. I actually brought a few of those little cups for them to dig with. But in looking through the pictures, it looks like he found a yucky old cup in the sand, so I thought I'd clarify :)

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

OMG - so many things to LOVE!!! The fact that you did that, how happy everyone looks, the wonderful weather, the pictures you got - AWESOME ALL AROUND!!! (Especially proud of that pic that Luke was able to take of the 3 of you ;-) ) Great pictures and looks like a great experience for everyone!!

Anonymous said...

It was a complete surprise and I loved every minute! How wonderful that I was there to enjoy their first time at the beach! It is a very special day!

ingapalooza said...

I want to go to the beach with you and Nonnie! Though, I'm not sure I would find the sand as appetizing as Luke did!

Kim said...

Dit -those are SUCH great pictures and such a nice surprise. It looked like a wonderful day for all of you. :)

Jayne said...

What a wonderful surprise visit! Love the action photos of Kyle running and collecting rocks, and Luke getting really into playing in the sand (and holding on to some very rough looking seaweed)! I'm trilled that their first beach experience was at Kennebunk beach.