Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bye Bye Mobile


Kyle's rotation of activities has lost one of its original members...his mobile. A couple weeks ago, he figured out that he could lie on his side (to extend his reach) and grab onto the animals. At first, he would only do this every couple days. But it's now at the point where he does it every time! And once he grabs on, he has a death grip and pulls and shakes it as hard as he can (this has caused the mobile to droop). Needless to say, this didn't seem very safe, so we took it down tonight. I am particularly sad about this because the mobile was my friend in the morning...once Kyle would wake up for the day, I would go in and hold him for a couple minutes, and then put him under his mobile. He'd watch it happily for at least a half hour (sometimes 45 minutes!), during which time I'd lie in bed, watch the news and ease into my day. Oh well, on the bright side, he must have really good hand-eye coordination to grab a moving, dangling object that is almost out of his reach!

The above picture was taken after his afternoon nap...after both naps today, he shimmied his way down to the mobile end of the crib and grabbed onto it (in the dark) even though it was turned off. Too bad "grab the mobile" isn't safe...I think it would be Kyle's favorite activity! And he now rolls both ways in his crib...back to tummy to fall asleep, and then tummy to back when he wakes up.

He's now had his cold for 5 days. It seems to be a little better today and I'm happy that it never progressed beyond a stuffy nose (no fever, ear infection, etc...knock on wood!). But that stuffy nose has made nursing VERY difficult! Think about it...when our nose is blocked, we can chew and breath through our mouth. But he must be "suctioned on" to eat so obviously can't breath through his mouth. I tried a bottle to see if that was any easier, but it was about the same. I'm learning that with kids, it's always going to be "something". Amazingly, I didn't catch Jared and Kyle's cold! Must be all that quality sleep I'm getting at night...

2 comments:

conor said...

conor has that mobile and he loved it too...we still have the music box part in his crib and he turns that on himself!!

Carolyn said...

Yes, the kids still use the music box part at almost 3 so there is still some use left. I love that picture, and I just love this stage you are in - all rosy cheeked and chubby and adorable and doing something new all the time!