Saturday, March 3, 2012

Two Years

My final conversation, laugh, hug, and kiss with Jared all feel like a lifetime ago. It seems impossible that it has been just two years. After college, time started going by very quickly, with the years kind of running together without much to define them. But not these two last years. That happy life I once had feels like such a distant almost surreal memory now. It's hard to remember how genuinely happy, content, and secure I felt. But I know I did. And I know that I recognized/appreciated it every single day.

Despite having another year under my belt, my emotions of grief and sadness are still very consuming, with it all still boiling down to the very simple "I just plain miss him". What I wouldn't give to have one more conversation with him. To reflect on our life. To share thoughts on our boys. To hear his perspective on death. As stupid as it sounds, I want to know that he's okay with death. Something that continues to haunt me is thinking how he left to play basketball that night, completely (and blissfully) unaware that his life was about to end. I can barely see the screen through my tears as I type this. I just truly hope that he has some higher purpose in this world and is at peace with that.

I could go on and on with a two year reflection. But I feel like it's all just the same old story, with time not really changing how I feel yet. So I'll end by sharing a very bittersweet new nightly ritual. After I read the boys a story and put Luke to bed, I snuggle with Kyle in his room in the dark for a few minutes. We start by playing the "today I liked..." game, where we go back and forth saying something we liked about the day (Kyle's are usually food-related, surprise surprise). And then completely out of the blue one night he started saying in his very sweet little voice "Daddy lives in heaven....he loves me so much...and he loves Luke...". Hearing him say those things, which he does almost every night now, just absolutely breaks my heart and brings me to tears. But at the same time I absolutely love that he seems to feel Jared's presence with us when we're snuggling, which is so fitting and appropriate.

We will always love you Jared, and I am thrilled that it seems you are finding ways for our boys to feel your love. Hopefully the line between the living and the dead is much blurrier than we think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe in my heart that the profound love between Jared and you did not end when Jared died and went to heaven. I believe the love continues between Jared and you and that he is with you and the boys always. It just doesn't make sense that God would end the love on the part of one person. When all is said and done isn't love the most important thing in the world and why we are here?