Tuesday, March 22, 2011

30

Yes, 30 is the magic number today. Kyle is 30 months old and Luke is 30 week old. And I am 30 years old! Close enough. In honor of this, I thought I would list some positive things about each of them (I feel like I sound so negative sometimes).

So here are Kyle's top 5:

1) He's a REALLY good/easy/healthy eater. He will eat anything/everything and seems to enjoy it all (broccoli, spinach, you name it). And he's a very tidy little eater, which is a bonus. His eating reminds me so much of Jared, who had a big appetite and was always so appreciative of any food he was served, even if it was boring/blah. Like Jared, Kyle says "thanks Mumma" before he takes his first bite, although Jared didn't call me Mumma ;)

2) He doesn't get into anything that isn't his. Literally! I can very confidently take a shower or nurse Luke with the door shut and know that Kyle will not get into mischief. Of course he's two and is capable of anything, but I would be SHOCKED if I came out and found a kitchen cabinet emptied on the floor or anything of the like. It's just not how he's wired.

3) Since the couple nights that we let him "cry it out" when he was 6 months old, he has slept through the night with no blips. We've literally NEVER had to go in there in the night over these last two years. And I can put him down as early as 6pm and he goes to bed happily. No elaborate bedtime routine...just brush teeth, fresh diaper, jammies and a hug.

4) He's VERY adaptable, which is so fortunate considering all he's been through this past year...losing his father, two moves, a new brother, etc. Like Jared, he very much lives in the moment. He happily goes for sleepovers at his cousins' house (and fortunately is well-behaved over there!). He doesn't get sad or upset when he and I are separated, which is great especially considering I've been home with him since birth...you'd think he'd be a little more attached :-\

5) He LOVES Luke and is such a sweet big bro :)

Here's Kyle's 30 month (a.k.a. 2.5 year) photo:

Now for Luke's top 5:

1) He's the sweetest, easiest, most content little baby.

2) He's finally starting to gain well (although feeding him solids continues to be a REAL struggle).

3) He's perfectly content playing in his crib or on his playmat by himself. Note, independent play was NOT listed in Kyle's top 5 :)

4) He's never fussy. Literally!

5) He's adorable :)

Here's Luke's 30 week photo:

It feels good to step back and recognize/express their positive qualities, because it's so easy to get consumed with the challenges. My life is far from the happy, content, fulfilling life I once had. But I am blessed with two very precious little boys, and being the best mom possible to them is and must always remain my focus.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I logged in this a.m. w/ the hopes of seeing a 30 post. And I was not disappointed. And I LOVE the positive tone.

Jayne said...

Great points - love the 30s and Luke's big smile!!! Looks like he is really letting out a big laugh! And of course Kyle is as cute as ever!