Monday, September 29, 2008

3am

Well, it's 3am and I still haven't had a wink of sleep tonight. Once again, Kyle just wants to eat incessantly. I have him in the pack n play now, and for the first time (because we were out of D batteries) am trying the music/vibrations. He's in and out of "build up" cries, but hasn't burst into the real thing yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I REALLY could use a couple hours of sleep. But I hear him sucking his hand so I'm not optimistic. He just had a nice little nap "skin to skin" on my chest for over an hour (LOVE that). I could have fallen asleep too but am just so afraid to fall asleep with him on me.

One thing I have grown to love is watching his little hands when he's eating. They're either anxiously clenched in little fists, neatly folded together, or moving around in air as if he's conducting an orchestra in slow motion. I'm sure I'll have many more opportunities to watch his hands before the night is over.

I haven't heard a peep out of him for a few minutes now, so maybe the music/vibrations are working. So I think I'll try to fall asleep, even though I'm sure I'll be awoken (is that proper grammar, Grammy?) just as I'm drifting off to sleep.

4 comments:

Jules said...

I liked your paragraph on Kyle's hands while eating. That was sweet. you'll look at that a year from now and smile. It's very vivid imagery. See, you were meant to blog!

Carolyn said...

i loved the hands back then too - Rachel especially - her hands were all over the place and so little and cute. So glad you are enjoying all these little special moments, despite the sleep depravation.

bcarlson said...

Am I supposed to comment on Ca's spelling errors on Dit's blog???

bcarlson said...

In answer to your question, Dit, the correct word in you last sentence is "awakened." Thanks for asking ;)