Tuesday, October 19, 2010

8 Weeks and Not Napping



Ah, the newborn weeks (is 8 weeks still considered newborn?). Unfortunately, the new and improved Lukey Pookie was very short-lived. In fact, it basically ended with my post about it. He's still doing okay at night (one 5ish hour stretch followed by several short ones), but he will NOT sleep during the day. Let me clarify...I'll nurse/rock him to sleep fairly easily, put him in his crib swaddled/asleep, and then he wakes up about 10 minutes later. And I do this over and over again all day. VERY frustrating. Oh well, he obviously needs to sleep so I just have to keep trying and hope that he figures things out soon.

And Kyle's sleep is also frustrating. He's always slept well at night (7 to 7ish), but his afternoon nap has just been getting shorter and shorter. And it was never that long to begin with. Like today, I put him down at 1pm, he screamed for about 15 minutes (which is also a new, aggravating twist) and slept for 30 minutes. And then woke up screaming. I decided to try something different today...I went in there after he woke up crying, rubbed his back and told him that he needed to nap more and then left the room. He cried for a few minutes but did fall back to sleep right away. For about 10 minutes. Ugh.

These next few years would be some much easier if my kids would nap well for me. I REALLY need those sanity breaks during the day, since I don't get them in the evening anymore. But it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Certainly not for Kyle anyway. There's still hope for Luke. I just need to be very disciplined about getting him on a good schedule early on.

Oh, Kyle had his 24 month well visit last week. He weighed 33 lbs and is 36 inches long (both are around the 90th percentile). She said he's very proportionate and doing well, although she did discover that he has a double ear infection (he's had a cold this last week but I was still surprised, since he's never had one before). So he's on antibiotics for the first time, which will hopefully clear things up.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

They are both just so darn cute that for the rest of us the unpredictability of their sleep patterns adds to their charm, but I can see how this is frustrating for you. Wish I could think of some trick to help them sleep....what about a loud ticking clock or another steady sound? Love Luke's hair!

Anonymous said...

Love Luke's hair! I think he is looking more and more like you! Can't wait to see the boys and I hope the sleeping gets better for them and you!

Nance said...

Love this picture of Lukey Pookie! He is definitely a little charmer and looking much more like you, Dianna!

Nance said...

Love this picture of Lukey Pookie! He is definitely a little charmer and looking much more like you, Dianna!

Nance said...

Once again Nance is showing what a computer wizard she is! How did I publish the same comment twice?