Thursday, January 15, 2009

Liberated!


I feel very liberated...a couple days ago, I made the executive decision not to rock Kyle to sleep anymore before his naps. From what I read, he's at the age where he needs to learn to fall asleep on his own. So now, I just swaddle him, sing a song, and deposit him in his crib wide awake. I was expecting the worst, that he'd cry for a long time. But he's only been crying (not hysterically) for about 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep. This is liberating because he would SCREAM for >10 minutes when rocking him to sleep...he would be hysterical, get all sweaty and hoarse, and then eventually fall asleep. Then I'd keep rocking him for another 10 minutes, so that he'd get into a deep sleep and survive the transfer into the crib. The whole process took about a half hour and was very unpleasant for both of us! I used to dread his naps because of this routine...now I look forward to every minute of them! The next task will be "operation unswaddle", which may commence this weekend.

And as you can see, Kyle's ready for spring training!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Great news!!! Love that picture! Who is that fellow?! He's changing so much.