Monday, November 24, 2008

2 Month Checkup

Kyle had his 2 month checkup today, which included his first round of shots. Obviously, I wasn't looking forward to this, but I wasn't dreading it either. It definitely hit me harder than I was expecting though. I actually cried (not hysterically, just tears in my eyes) when the needles went in and he let out this sad, weird cry that I've never heard before :( It was the same feeling (only a billion times stronger) I get when bringing our cat to the vet...he's shaking and terrified and I can't explain to him why he's there. Poor little guy! He's asleep on Jared right now and seems to be recovering okay.

He now weighs 11 lbs 15 oz and is a little over 24 inches. I was disappointed with the weight, as it's on the low end of "normal" gain since his last appointment. But I was also expecting it, since he gets so squirmy/gassy while nursing that I don't think he eats as much as he'd like. I think I'll have a lactation consultant come to the house, to see if there's anything I can do to improve his nursing. The doctor is comfortable with his weight though and told me not to worry about it, and not to supplement with formula or wake him up in the night to eat. He doesn't need to see him back until 4 months but said I could bring him in before then to get him weighed if I wanted. It's funny how it always seems like everyone's babies are in the 99th percentile, so I just assumed ours would be too (especially since Jared and I are both "top percentile" folks ourselves). And here Kyle's only in the 37th percentile for weight (76th for length). Oh well, the doctor says he's healthy and doing well, so I know I shouldn't worry. I just wish nursing was an easier, more comfortable experience for him!

No comments: