Friday, November 21, 2008

Sound Sleeper

So I "reprimanded" Jared this morning when he thundered down the stairs around 5:30 to eat breakfast, because Kyle had just fallen back asleep after his feeding and Jared's "thud thud, thud thud" woke him up (although fortunately he fell back asleep). So why is the title of this post "Sound Sleeper" you ask? Well, I tried to fall back asleep after this but couldn't. So I decided to get up and have some quiet time before Kyle woke up. Practicing what I preach, I very quietly descended the stairs, when all of the sudden "WOO WOO WOO WOO"...I had forgotten to turn off our security system and tripped the motion detector and it is the LOUDEST sound you can imagine!

The few times I've accidentally set off the alarm, it literally has me shaking and my heart racing for about 15 minutes after I shut it off. It is just truly the loudest, most piercing sound you can imagine. So as I'm racing to the keypad to shut it off, I'm not even thinking "oh shoot, I woke Kyle up" (that's a given), but instead I'm thinking "oh my gosh, I've permanently damaged Kyle's hearing!". So I shut it off, the security company called and I gave them the password and told them I was fine. And then I looked at the baby monitor and Kyle was still sound asleep! I was absolutely shocked and sat there watching him on the monitor for about ten minutes until I saw a little movement (so I knew he was alive because I couldn't imagine sleeping through that noise!). I think Kyle is turning a corner in the sleep department...yesterday's hour nap turned into a 2+ hr nap and now he slept through a 70,000 decibel sound! And he's still asleep now. Go figure!

1 comment:

Jules said...

that's a funny post. isn't it ironic that they can wake up at the squeak of the hinge of their door, but a fire or security alarm won't make them budge. WHY IS THAT? (and i've reprimanded john many times for being too loud in the morning as he's frantically trying to run out the door to meet his carpool...like a bull in a china shop!) Hope you enjoyed your 'quiet' time after your heart stopped racing!