Friday, November 7, 2008

Loud Walk

I just took Kyle for a walk, hoping to get him to fall asleep for a little bit, because that's what babies do on walks, right? Grammy, you know better (like mother like son). Well right around the halfway point of my loop (about 1.5 miles from home), Kyle started crying and it just kept getting louder and louder. So I started doing different things with the stroller to try to calm him down...swerving, figure 8s, going backwards, spinning in circles, etc. I must have looked like a lunatic! He'd calm down while I was doing these wild maneuvers, but would start crying as soon as I resumed the traditional forward motion. Eventually though, I just forged ahead, with him still screaming. Fortunately, I had my iPod so was somewhat able to drown out the crying. Not the most relaxing walk I've ever taken, but he did finally fall asleep a few minutes before he got home. So I left him in the stroller on the back walkway (and I sat on the deck), hoping he'd sleep for a while. But that didn't happen...he woke up about 15 minutes later. He's definitely challenging during the day, as he just won't nap! But he is sleeping great at night, and that's half the battle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Kyle is anything like his father he will not be much of a napper during the day. His father had given up his morning nap by his 8 week check up and would nap 3 or 4 afternoons a week for a couple of hours but did sleep 7 hours at night frequently. I found it very difficult to streamline my around the house activities and spent many days "doing" around the house with jared in a back pack.Thank God for the "jolly jumper" which he soon got promoted to!! Love Jackie

Carolyn said...

Oh, Dittie, I remember my first loud walk. They both screamed. And I was stunned because I thought all babies slept on walks. And I was all like - "what will the neighbors think?!". You do what you have to do. Crank the iPod and continue on.

Jules said...

Been there. Why is it always the halfway point, too?? It's as if they have their own little pedometer and they know where the halfway mark is...