Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Expectations

I need to learn not to have expectations when it comes to newborns. That will only lead to disappointment. I should be very happy right now, because Kyle once again had two good chunks of sleep overnight (both times I had to wake him up to feed him because it had been about 3.5 hrs). But I was expecting a third chunk of sleep early this morning (just like yesterday), and that never happened. He didn't go back to sleep after 4am, and started into his feeding frenzy. And I so desperately wanted another couple hours of sleep that I kept trying to calm him down (without nursing)...I knew he had a clean diaper and had just eaten so in my mind there was no reason for him not to go back to sleep. But he had his own agenda and just wanted to eat and eat and eat. So I have to settle for the sleep I got...probably about 5 hrs total, which isn't bad.

Last night was the first time we tried him in the crib, meaning Jared and I slept in the bed together which was nice (I had been sleeping on the couch in the family room, with him in the pack n play). He seemed to like his crib, so I think we'll continue with that. I had the monitor on but turned it off when I realized how easily I could hear him when he made any sort of sound.

I'm hoping Kyle sleeps some during the day today. Yesterday, which was my first day alone with no Jared/Grammy, he did not sleep for more than about 20 minutes at a time. So that made for a pretty long day! Of course when Jared came home, he fell asleep on his chest for about 2 hrs. Jared (tongue-in-cheek) said that I must have had a really easy day. Hopefully I'll get those 2 hrs today sometime between now and 5pm!

No matter how little he sleeps or how often he wants to eat, Kyle's still the most precious little guy in the world and I love him to pieces :)

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

It's Grammy--so glad he's finding longe!r chunks of sleep. 5 hours is pretty good--don't get greedy

Carolyn said...

It's Grammy. Just kidding, it's really Ca. Even at age 2 1/2 there are still certain situations where I don't have expectations so I won't be disappointed (i.e. out in public type outings).

Jules said...

Have to agree w/ Ca. The expectations don't get any higher once they get out of the newborn phase. (They only get worse as they become toddlers.) But then when it all works out, victory is that much more sweet and rewarding! :)